Despite our best efforts, drains can become blocked, and depending on the severity of the problem may require urgent professional attention.
The key is not to panic. Here we provide a few steps to assist you in identifying the problem before calling for emergency help.
A public Or Private Problem
The drainage network directly beneath your property is your responsibility. It becomes the responsibility of your water provider once the pipework enters a main sewer or any section of pipework that acts as a collector for any neighbouring properties.
If you’re experiencing a severe blockage, ask your neighbours if they have noticed any problems as the issue could be with the main sewer itself. This may become more prevalent after periods of heavy rain. If your neighbours are also affected, get in touch with your water company immediately.
If the problem is solely at your property, you will need to call a drainage company for assistance.
Look for Leaks
If your blockage is accompanied by a leak, either inside or outside, turn off your water supply immediately. The blockage may have caused this leak if you were using a tap at the time so this water won’t have anywhere to go.
Your water supply can be turned off at the stop clock or tap which is usually found where the water supply enters your home. Common places include;
- Underneath your kitchen sink
- Inside a kitchen cupboard
- Inside a bathroom
- In a garage or utility room
- In the basement or cellar
- Underneath the stairs
Once your water supply has been turned off, call a drainage company to provide further assistance.
24 Hour Emergency Call Out
Most drainage companies will be able to provide you with an immediate call out service. Emergency drain unblocking in Dartford can be carried out by any of the many drainage contractors that operate in the area. Their services will likely include;
- Emergency toilet unblocking – Most homes only have one toilet so it is important that it is working again ASAP. A drainage contractor will work to remove the blockage as well as assist with any clean up required. They will also be able to advise on the exact cause so that you can prevent it from happening again.
- Unblocking sinks and basins – Whilst not as urgent as a blocked toilet, a blocked sink means that it cannot be used until the problem is fixed. If your kitchen sink, this will may life difficult in the preparation of food and cleaning. Your drainage contractor will be able to find the problem and unblock the drain.
- Septic tank removal – If your property has a septic tank, you will know that it needs to be emptied regularly. If you have forgotten to do so, it may begin to overflow or backup. If this is the case, immediately call a drainage company for assistance. They will work with you to empty the tank as well as carry out any needed repairs.
Some of the best drainage companies won’t even charge a call out fee in an emergency. This means that you will only be required to pay for their time and materials.