Window shutters have two primary uses in the home. They are an alternative to other treatments and they protect the home from weather elements. Although the most common material for shutters is wood, aluminium is also used in specific situations, mostly for exterior windows.
What Are Aluminium Shutters?
Aluminium shutters are exactly what they sound like they are; they are shutters that are constructed out of aluminium. Aluminium shutters provide a series of advantages over other types of window shutters. Aluminium shutters in Perth are fairly popular in home housing markets and there are literally hundreds of manufacturers today.
What Are the Advantages of Aluminium Shutters?
Aluminium is an extremely durable material that is resistant to damage and breakage. Because of this, aluminium doesn’t need to be replaced frequently and is considered a viable long-term investment.
In addition to its high durability, aluminium windows are in high demand among homeowners because they offer a higher level of security. Aluminium shutters on the exterior of your home are not easy to break into, thus providing a strong deterrent to trespassing and theft. Aluminium shutters also offer a higher level of privacy due to their opacity. This can also work in tandem with keeping out unwanted noise and light.
Additional advantages include:
- Variety and Versatility: Aluminium shutters can be used for both outdoor and indoor applications. They can be powder-coated in hundreds of available colours and further customised to fit any window.
- Neat Appearance: Aluminium shutters are attractive in the fact that they can open all the way to show the entire width of the window. They also shut neatly to block sunlight and heat.
- Protection: Aluminium shutters can also protect your home from excess amounts of cold, wind, heat, and sun. Shutters on the exterior are permanent so you don’t have to install wood over windows before a heavy storm. Aluminium shutters are highly durable, which can provide protection from wind and debris.
- Light Control: Aluminium shutters can easily be adjusted to let various amounts of sunlight in even when they are closed.
Most aluminium shutters come with security locks for added protection against potential intruders. This may be optional with some manufacturers but you may want to ask for them for added benefits.
What Are the Disadvantages of Aluminium Shutters?
Although aluminium shutters are highly valued for their protection against elements and intruders, there are just a few downsides of installing aluminium shutters on your home.
- Durability: Unlike wood and vinyl, which won’t easily dent, crack, or rust over time, aluminium can show wear in the form of dents and rust.
- Appearance: Although aluminium comes in a variety of colours, most owners do not find aluminium as attractive as wood or vinyl. Although its functional use is high, aluminium has the ability to appear cheap.