You’ve just arrived home from work, and you open your front door and notice a pungent odour circulating around your home, it is the distinct smell of natural gas. What do you do? You’d be surprised to know that a lot of people would not have a clue how to act if they smelt a gas leak in their home. Here are some guidelines to help you deal with such circumstances.

What causes a gas leak?

Poorly fitted appliances such as cookers and boilers are the main cause of gas leaks in your home, if you don’t properly maintain and service them, you run the risk of suffering a gas leak. A gas leak can be fatal if you don’t know how to act accordingly when you detect the smell of a strong odour.

If your household kitchen appliances are badly fitted, it can lead to problems, these problems usually happen around the seal, or on the hose which is connected to your machines. It is vital that you call a certified energy supplier in New Zealand to fit all your household appliances, they check to see whether your bottled gas is safe and secure. Furthermore, they can also examine other appliances to ensure they are properly connected to your mains.

What can happen if a gas leak is not properly looked after?

If you’ve a faulty appliance or some other issue with your pipes or mains, it is important to deal with the problem as soon as possible. A natural gas leak can result in a fire or even a catastrophic explosion, so it must be fixed the minute it is detected. Some surveys suggest that a large number of homes in New Zealand are operating with faulty appliances, putting the occupants in danger. If you detect an odour, not matter how faint, you should investigate further. If it turns out to be a gas leak, contact your energy supplier immediately from a safe area.

What to do if you smell gas in your home?

The moment you smell gas in your home, you should act immediately to avoid any serious incidents.

  • Go to your supply tank and turn your mains off.
  • Open all your windows and doors, let fresh air in and natural gas out.
  • Avoid turning on anything electrical while inside, a single spark could cause a devastating explosion.
  • Do not smoke anywhere near your home as it could also result in an explosion.
  • Turn off your electricity supply switch, it is safer to check around your home when your mains are turned off.
  • Lastly, call your energy supplier immediately and request a visit, they’ll be able to check your appliances and other devices to see where the problem lies.

If you smell gas circulating throughout your home, it is important to act fast. A gas leak can be easily fixed as long as you take the right steps to resolve the problem. Remember never to turn on electrical devices, light matches, or smoke if you smell an odour in your home, and contact your local supplier as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply